SJ1000 1080P HD Action Camera Review
The SJ1000 is an action camera that records 1080P 30FPS HD video & audio and takes 12MP still photos with a battery life of 80 minutes on a full charge. The SJ1000 is listed at under $100 which makes it a cheap alternative to the GoPro. It records video at 1080P, comes with a waterproof case, many mounts for every occasion and it’s a quality action camera that comes with many features.
- 1080P 30 FPS HD video & audio recording
- 140 degrees wide angle and 12 megapixels still shots
- 80 minutes battery life
- Comes with waterproof casing and multiple mounts
- Includes LCD screen & G-Sensors
- Motion detection features
- Can also be used as a Dash Camera
- Can also be used for home security
- Compatible with up to 32GB SD Card
The action camera features a very small, lightweight and simple design. The device itself measures at 7cm height, 4.5cm width, and 3cm thick.
The front of the action camera shows the camera lens, microphone and speakers.
The back shows a slick LCD screen for accessing the menu, previewing recordings, and more.
The side shows the Micro SD slot, menu button and power switch.
The other side shows the up/down button, HDMI input, and USB port.
This is where the battery goes. The battery is removable so you can carry extra batteries.
This shows the SJ1000 with the waterproof case attached. You can still access most of the functions with this waterproof cased on.
Overall, it’s a nicely design action camera.
Video & Audio Quality
The video quality was a lot better than I expected. I didn’t expect much out of a $100 action camera, but was pleasantly surprised. You may have to play with the exposure setting for different lighting environments for the best possible video quality especially for night time use.
This action camera won’t record files larger than 4GB files which is around 35 minutes of video at 1080p. The camera will stop recording once the target size of 4GB is reached.
If you want to record more than 35 minutes, you will have to go into settings and change the cycle recording options. It comes in 3 minutes/5 minutes/10 minutes options. The 10 minutes option will record 10 minute videos which is equal to 1.1GB files at 1080p. This will record videos on a 10 minute loop. If your memory card is full, it will delete the oldest video files first so make sure you have enough space on your SD Card.
You have the options to record your videos in 1920×1080 at 30FPS, 1280×720 at 60FPS, 848×480 at 60FPS, or 640×480 at 60FPS.
All videos will come with a timestamp by default, but can be turned off in the menu options.
There are two ways to play your recordings or view pictures taken with the SJ1000. You can either use the USB cable to connect it to your computer or view your files on the SJ1000 itself using the LCD screen.
Mounts & Accessories
The SJ1000 comes with many mounts and accessories to make it possible to mount the action camera on just about everything. It also comes with a waterproof shell for underwater recordings.
The SJ1000 Action Camera comes with the following mounts and accessories:
- USB Cable
- Car Charger & Wall Charger
- Waterproof cover bracket
- Car Suction Cup Mount
- Bicycle mount
- Helmet Mount
- 3M Heavy Duty Mounting
- Helm Seat
- Helmet Belt
- Screw Tools & Screws
This action camera also comes with other extras like cradles and straps. You may be a bit overwhelmed at all the options at first, but play around with them and experiment with them to fit your requirements.
Alternative to GoPro
We all know that the GoPro is the market leader and a household name for action cameras, but the SJ1000 1080P HD action camera is a great inexpensive alternative. For under $100, the SJ1000 is a great budget action camera.
The video quality and audio on the SJ1000 is excellent. The SJ1000 has less video resolution and less FPS options when compared to the GoPro. At 1080P, the SJ1000 will only record videos at 30FPS while the GoPro has the option to record videos at 60FPS at the same resolution. For action videos, 60FPS will produce higher quality videos.
Check out this video comparison recording of the SJ1000 vs GoPro HD Hero3. This is not my video. I found it on YouTube and found it interesting. Make sure you watch it in 1080P.
If price isn’t a factor when purchasing a action camera, then get the GoPro. If price is a deciding factor for you, then you can get the SJ1000 1080P HD action camera for 1/3 of the price of a GoPro. The SJ1000 does it’s job well for recording action videos at 1080P HD.
Other Uses For The SJ1000
Many of us don’t plan on using our action cameras everyday, so here are some alternative uses for the SJ1000 when you are not using it as a action camera.
- Still Photo Shots – This device can take 12MP photos. The photos comes out good, but photos from smartphones these days are better. This is still a good backup option though.
- Home Surveillance Camera – Since the SJ1000 has a motion detection feature, you can turn on motion detection mode and use it as a home surveillance camera. When this featured is enabled, the camera will record 10 seconds of video until more movement is detected. If movement is detected within 10 seconds, the timer will reset and will continue to record for another 10 seconds.
- Car Recorder – You can use the SJ1000 as a car camera recorder with the included car suction cup mount and car charger.
- Webcam – You can use the SJ1000 as a webcam for your computer. Just connect the USB cable to your computer and select “PC Camera” on the LCD screen. There is no webcam drivers or software included, so you will have to go and find yourself a webcam software if you plan on using this feature on your computer. I did a simple test on video chat websites and it does work without having to install additional drivers or software. This was tested on Windows 7
The waterproof case is a great additional to the action camera. It comes in many mounting options to fit every occasion. The video quality and audio is great.
The only problem I had with the action camera is the 35 minutes clip length limit which stops recording after 35 minutes. Not a big deal as you can easily fix this by changing the cycle recording options to 3 minutes, 5 minutes or 10 minutes.
For under $100, the SJ1000 is one of the best action cameras I’ve seen. It’s great for people who only plan on using their action camera a few times a year and don’t want to spend a lot of money on a action camera. This is a great buy for under $100.