VIPRE Internet Security 2014 Review
VIPRE Internet Security 2014 is a antivirus + firewall software providing you with the protection you need to keep your computer safe. VIPRE Internet Security 2014 is an easy to use software that comes with many features, but it doesn’t use much resources so it won’t slow down your computer.
VIPRE Internet Security 2014 Features
- Social Watch – Scans your Facebook page for bad links that could potentially infect your PC
- Search Guard – Helps you identify links that could infect your PC
- Antivirus/Anti-Spyware Protection
- Active Protection
- Email/Chat Protection – Filters unwanted email from your inbox and protects you against spam, phishing scams and malicious URLs
- Removable Media Scanning
- Auto Patch – Periodically checks if applications installed on your computer need fixes/patches from the software vendor.
- Two-way Firewall Protection – Protects you from incoming and outgoing internet traffic
- Anti-intrusion Protection
- Advanced anti-rootkit technology – Finds & disables hard to remove malware that have gained unauthorized access to and hides deep within your PC
- Bad Website Blocking – Blocks access to malicious websites
- 1 Year for 1 PC – $49.99
- 1 Year for 10 PCs – $69.99
- PC Lifetime Protection for 1 PC – $99.99
VIPRE Internet Security 2014 comes with a two-way firewall protecting you from incoming and outgoing internet traffic with customization settings. It comes with IDS and HIPS settings which are disabled by default. You can also view the current connections on your computer which comes with detailed information about each connection and where it’s coming from. Overall, it’s a good firewall which is definitely better than the default Windows Firewall.
VIPRE’s spam filter will filter unwanted email from your inbox and protect yourself against spam, phishing scams and malicious URLs.
According to PC Magazine, VIPRE Internet Security does an great job at handling spam with it’s spam filter. During their tests, it only allowed 5.1 percent of spam into the inbox, detected 0.5 percent of valid mail as spam, and didn’t discard any valid bulk mail.
Test results by independent antivirus labs are always a great way to find out which Antivirus software are performing well. The results from AV-Test and AV-Comparatives weren’t so great for VIPRE Internet Security 2014.
According to AV-Test, VIPRE Internet Security 2014 does a below industry average job on protecting you against 0-day malware attacks, inclusive of web and email threats. However, they do a better job at detection of widespread and prevalent of malware discovered in the last four weeks. Overall, AV-Test rates VIPRE Internet Security 2014 at 3.5/6.0 for it’s protection against malware infections.
During the December 2013 testing, AV-Comparatives has rated ThreadTrack VIPRE as STANDARD for it’s Real-World Protection Tests. In their September 2013 testing for File Detection tests, VIPRE was rated as ADVANCED.
I’ve always hated bloated antivirus protection so it’s a nice to see that even though VIPRE Internet Security 2014 comes with a ton of features, it doesn’t slow down my computer. AV-Test gave VIPRE a 3.0/6.0 performance score, but I found VIPRE Internet Security 2014 to be a lightweight software which doesn’t use that much computer resource.
VIPRE Internet Security 2014 also comes with some features you may not see from other Internet Security software such as the Social Watch, History Cleaner, Secure File Eraser, and PC Explorer. You can get Search Guard and Auto Patching which is very important to keep your computer safe.
Their Spam Filter has been greatly improved and works great according to PC Mag. The firewall is simple, but comes with many settings/options.
Even though VIPRE Internet Security 2014 comes with many awesome features, the antivirus functionality scored lower than I expected with the independent antivirus labs. Detecting and protecting you from malware infections should be one of the top priority when it comes to antiviruses software so I was slightly disappointed at the independent lab results. Overall, still a good antivirus and internet security software.